Choosing The Best Fashion School For YouThe word “best” is always relative. What’s best for you may not be the best for others. This is the reason why you should not trust a business that claims to be the best. You need to compare various fashion schools in order to actually find the best one for you. In comparing fashion schools, however, you are going to need some standards. Here are some standards you can use:
1) Cost – some people think that the best fashion schools are the most expensive ones. These people think that just because education is expensive, it is also high quality. Well, it's true that studying fashion is not cheap. However, it doesn’t really need to be ridiculously expensive either.
Some schools just want to appear exclusive in order to attract more students. They pretend to be the best fashion schools by charging outrageous fees to those who wish to be students. So, do not assume that cost is the only or best standard to use in judging quality.
2) Location – there are people who think that attending the best fashion school means going to Europe. They believe that in order for a fashion school to be among the best, it should be located as far away from their hometown as possible. Actually, the important thing is not the distance as such, but the environment in which the school operates.
So listen up, this part is important. Schools located in fashion centers tend to be more aggressive in their education. They also tend to be more updated on the world of fashion. That means a more relevant and valuable training - also the possibility of making contacts to secure your first job in fashion.
So, if it means travel or relocation then you might as well face up to it sooner as later- you'll probably have to move for a job anyway.
Frankly, when it comes to cost and relocation it's up to you to trade off the sacrifices involved against your ambitions and what they mean to you.
3) Prestige – some people think that the best fashion schools are the ones that get featured in magazines and the television. They believe that attending such schools would rub a little of the prestige of onto them. People believe that the best fashion schools are the most well-known ones. However, you need to remember that sometimes, the best fashion schools like to keep quiet about their greatness.
ll the magazines in the world could not compare to the testimonials of other people. It is often the case that the best fashion schools do not get known through the papers, but through the words of their students. What this means is that you need to network and check out the opinions and experiences of graduates to dig out the truth.
4) Instructors – some think that the best fashion schools are the ones which hire famous personalities as instructors. In fact, they may have a point. People in the fashion industry do not get famous if nobody likes their work. However, there is one drawback to this: people in the fashion industry are almost always competing against each other. This competition can be very distracting and may hinder the learning process.
5) Alumni – there are also people who think that the best fashion schools are the ones attended by successful personalities. They believe that the past will be the guide of people to face the future. Because of this, people often seek out the schools of well known fashion personalities and set out to fulfill their dreams.
Before you use this standard to judge the best fashion school, you should remember that schooling is only a small part of a person’s greatness. It is an important part, to be sure, but remember that greatness always lies within yourself.
The true stars in any industry are exceptional and often break the mould and are not typical of most people's experience. So pay attention also to the experience of the average student.
Did they get useful training and experience? Did they get meaningful work-experience placements (internships)? Were they introduced to useful contacts for future employment? These are the practical things to consider.